Monday 30 November 2020

My Advent Calendars

Last year was the first time that I'd had a yarny advent calendar. I enjoyed opening a little package containing a small skein of yarn each day in the run up to Christmas so I decided I'd treat myself again this year.

I've gone for a calendar from Beaches and Birdsong this time. I've heard a lot about the beautiful yarn from this dyer but I haven't tried it for myself yet so I'm really looking forward to opening a selection of different colourways. Each parcel contains 10g of yarn. Each square in my scrappy blanket takes about 4g of yarn so I'm left with about 6g of yarn for other scrappy projects or swaps.

I've also treated myself to the 12 Days of Christmas Charity Selection Box which Helen from Giddy Yarns has organised. There's a package to be opened on each of the twelve days of Christmas which contains a 20g mini skein from twelve different UK indie dyers.

In addition to the calendars I've bought, there's also the advent swap I'm doing with Maggie from Black Country Wench blog. We're swapping 6g mini skeins made up from our leftovers, it's enough to add to our scrappy blankets. This came beautifully packaged and I opened it yesterday to take a photo and ready to start opening tomorrow and I'm overwhelmed with what's inside the box. The packages look exciting enough but just look at that little Santa sack. We're also swapping a 100g skein to be opened on Christmas Day so I expect that's it, and there's a lovely scent wafting out of the box too, I'm not too sure what that is yet. It's all so exciting.

I can't wait to start opening these little packages tomorrow and the opening will continue right through until the 5th of January.

Have you got an advent calendar this year?

21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea and something to look forward to in the run up to Christmas.
    We decided not to buy chocolate advent calendars this year. Don't laugh but we always bought a dog chocolate advent calendar as well as our own but sadly we lost our little pal earlier this year and we don't need reminding that's she's no longer with us. I can't wait to see the back of this year. We've put our Christmas tree up and we won't be miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea I never thought of doing this but it will be such fun to open those little packages everyday please show us what's inside. I'll have remember to do something like this next year.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not got one this year, I did get 1 festive hank from my favourite dyer, which I will use in December, looking forward to seeing your shades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting Jo! Enjoy all that beautiful yarn, your scrappy blanket will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my tasks for this afternoon is to dig out the advent calendar from under the spare bed. We just fill the pockets with sweeties now - nice and easy for the two of us. I'm also going to get out all the Christmas mugs and pinnies and ovengloves etc etc. It just feels right to get all of those out now and start using them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful. I haven't bothered with an advent calendar this year but right at this moment feel at little regretful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a smashing idea. I've never heard of this before.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting times ahead! I love your enthusiasm, it is infectious but of course I have left it too late to organise a fabulous advent calendar. I get a little chocolate each day. I look forward to seeing all the beautiful mini skeins at some point. Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, they are all just lovely.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Advent calendars with a difference, they sound lovely and I hope you enjoy opening each of your little packages :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks and sounds great.
    Yes, I have my advent calendar ready!

    Happy December Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT idea...and fun! I don't have an advent calendar this year but will do one next year. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, But now I want one!! I'd even go for the old chocolate ones

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun to have little treasures to look forward to each day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks very exciting & hope we see what you've got & the projects you intend working on with them. I'm looking forward to the journey with you. Take care, stay safe & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful, exciting, and happy making! We need all the happy moments we can get this year, enjoy your yarn. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luck you, so many little surprises to look forward to each day. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my goodness, Jo! How exciting! I wonder if there's anything similar in the States?! I will have to do some research for happy yarny mail.😗

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm looking forward to seeing some of these colourful little yarns. They are all beautifully packaged and you must be so excited to begin opening them. X

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's lovely to have something to look forward to opening each day, even more so this year. Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can see that you are getting into the Christmas spirit, Jo, with your advent calendar. So very special. I used to buy advent calendars for the grandchildren when they were little. One day I will treat myself to one. Enjoy. P.x

    ReplyDelete