Wednesday 27 May 2020

Bank Holiday Monday

Thank you for all your comments on my last post. It's interesting to see how the lockdown is affecting us all financially. I'm pleased to hear that most of us are faring well in these troubled times, and my heart goes out to those who are having a tough time of it. I think we'll all be paying for it in the future though, one way or another. We prepare for so many things through life but I don't think anyone could have predicted what 2020 would have in store for us.

It was Spring Bank Holiday on Monday. We'd had some blustery weather over the weekend but it brightened up again and it was much warmer so we took ourselves off for a walk through Parlington Woods down The Flyline.


You can read my post about Nellie's Tree where I touched on the history of The Flyline, and also the romantic story of Vic Stead, his Sweetheart and the tree which was voted Woodland Trust's 2018 tree of the year for England.


This is usually a quiet walk but there were lots of people out walking on Monday, as well as numerous cyclists and a jogger or two.


Even local walks get much busier when the weather's nice, especially on a bank holiday.


It's been good that the weather has been so nice through lockdown, I don't know what we'd have done had we been confined to the house for the duration.


As the restrictions surrounding exercise are relaxed, it seems that some people's concerns about the virus are lessened too. There were too many people not observing social distancing to count. Groups of people, who it was obvious were not from the same household, out together and walking side by side.


It makes me wonder if I'm in the minority when it comes to observing the rules. It certainly seems that way when I'm out and about.


Nevertheless, Archie was unconcerned and relished a bit of freedom running around and enjoying his walk, though he was ready for home eventually, he does tire much quicker these days.

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful walk Jo, I find the same thing here, I didn't dare go down to the sea front on Monday because I knew what it would have been like and apparently I was correct it was packed and social distancing was impossible, it's because all the surrounding villages flock to our small beach, I stayed in my garden. I'm glad Archie enjoyed his walk. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful walk. I've really felt the benefit of being able to get outdoors in this good weather. I'm so grateful I can walk where it's nice and quiet. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often said it's a good thing lockdown was in the spring and not in winter when the weather would be bad and the darkness so long. Thankfully people have been able to get out but it is worrying how many of them aren't sticking to the "rules". It's not a game people! Stay safe, Jo! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather wasn't good over the weekend, it was very blustery but thankfully it brightened up on Monday. That's a nice walk and I'm sure Archie was delighted to have a good run around. This year has been truly awful for me and I'm very concerned about folk ignoring the social distancing rules. I am so glad I live in Wales where the message is still stay at home but we are free to take exercise locally and I think people are being more considerate here. I'm so worried there will be a second wave of this deadly virus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks nice there & glad you could get out & about again. We can go a bit further now instead of just local walks, but definitely not too far & some people just don't seem to get the distancing bit. There is only ever K & I when we go anywhere, but just about everybody will give a nod, smile, little wave or say hello. I love the kids who give a cheeky wave & a big Hi! I wouldn't venture into any of those big shopping centres or anything like that till it's all over, but our local ones are OK & I'm sorting of getting used to grocery shopping again. One bonus of living in a country area, though we are becoming more suburban by the year. I understand why you are all liking it coming into warmer weather, as the grey, gloomy days stuck inside are quite depressing & we've more to come this weekend. Take care, stay safe & huggles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We too are still observing the social distancing, but many aren't. We stayed home BH Monday as the day trippers from the cities ( Manchester, Preston, Liverpool ) flock to St Anne's and take over the town, prom and beach. On the whole the people of Lytham St Anne's have taken the lockdown very seriously. Your walks look so lovely. Take care and stay safe. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am appalled at the lack of seriousness. Almost 100,000 have died in the U.s. The pictures on Memorial Day of partying was astounding. prayers to all. love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather was dreadful here gale force winds and cold. Thankfully people are taking it seriously here and as yet tourists are not allowed on the ferries yet. I am sure that will soon change as the lockdown restrictions start to lift. A great walk Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder that too. I’ve also seen several people visiting others houses too. I feel for people who can’t venture out due to being in the shielded category.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your photographs, it looks a beautiful walk.

    From many of the news items it seems that social distancing, although much talked about, is not being taken as seriously now. It does give cause for concern for the future, we shall have to see how things turn out.

    Having said that, it is nice to make the most of some wonderful sunny weather at a safe distance from others!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed looking back to the story of Nellie's tree and seeing all your lovely photos. We have got used to not seeing so many people around, everywhere is looking so busy now as people venture out again. Keep social distancing it's vital and the only way to go forward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sunshine seems to have puddled people's brains about social distancing, I have neighbours who were definitely having BBQ's and family gatherings over the holiday weekend.
    Your walk looks a super place to take in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos. You would think that with all of the room in a park people could social distance. I think they just don't care enough.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The weather was glorious on Monday wasn't it, perfect for a walk. I am sorry that you saw people who were not physically distancing from each other, with current events I have to say that I am not surprised. I think there is a lot of people who don't trust or believe the government any more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a lovely walk. It's been glorious here too but we are in desperate need of rain now, the garden is bone dry. Oh, it's the same here, walking is getting downright scary!xxx

    ReplyDelete