Sunday 13 October 2019

Yarny Advent Calendars

Following on from my last post, No Apology, about Christmas goodies coming to the shops, I just thought I'd mention that I've made my first purchase towards celebrating the big day, a yarny advent calendar. In fairness to the dyers, they have to put up the listings for these yarny advent calendars very early in the year as they have such large batches of yarn to dye so they need to know numbers well in advance and get them out to customers in plenty of time for the countdown to begin.

When I was a child I had a charming little paper advent calendar with a picture behind each window. It was very carefully opened so that when Christmas that year was over and done with, we could close up all the windows and pack it away ready for the countdown the following year. It was used over and over again. Advent calendars these days are big business, it's quite rare to see those paper versions which I had as a child, now there's chocolate calendars, candle calendars, even beauty calendars where the windows open each day to reveal a cosmetic product. I've never had an advent calendar since I was a child but I decided that I'd like to have a yarny advent calendar this year.


Many dyers offer yarny advent calendars so I shopped around a bit and finally settled on one by Hedgerow Yarns. I've had yarn from this dyer in the past and have been very pleased with it. Each little parcel is numbered one to twenty four and each one contains 10g of hand dyed yarn. There was also a little stitch marker and another couple of extras included in the box.


Some dyers offer twelve days of Christmas calendars to open from Christmas day onwards and I decided that I'd also like one of these. Again, I shopped around and settled on one by Craft House Magic for this. Again, there's 10g of hand dyed yarn in each parcel. The dyer also sent an extra mini skein in the Pumpkin Patch colourway.


I'm also taking part in an advent swap. I've been given a partner and it's turned out to be the dyer behind Down Sheepy Lane yarn. We'll be making up an advent calendar to swap with each other.

The mini skeins will be the perfect size to add to my scrappy blanket with plenty of yarn left over for other things. There's lots of patterns now which use oddments of yarn so I may take a look at those to see what I can knit.

I'm looking forward to the countdown to Christmas and the twelve days afterwards. Will you have an advent calendar this year?

29 comments:

  1. This sounds like great fun much better than a chocolate advent calendar. I look forward to seeing all the pretty colours as they are revealed. ๐Ÿงถ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's an advent calendar out there for everyone nowadays, they're big business. I can't wait to get started on them now.

      Delete
  2. I am also excited about my Hedgerow yarns advent calender, but I stopped at one, I do need to use my yarn stash not add to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, any excuse to add to my yarn stash. It will be so much fun seeing the colour of each yarn as we open each day's parcel.

      Delete
  3. A yarny advent calendar! What a great idea. And the pumknin patch colourway is gorgeous.
    Lily will be using her knitted stockings again this year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Pumpkin Patch colourway too, I could be quite tempted to buy a full skein. Mick's auntie knitted Daniel and Eleanor tiny little ornamental stockings with their initials on when they were young and we still use them for decoration each year.

      Delete
  4. Those little packets look quite beautiful. Are they intended just to be a "gift to self" each day or would you try to create something small every day from each baggie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how far 10g of yarn goes. I shall add each colour to my scrappy blanket and then knit something else with the leftovers, perhaps a scrappy pair of socks or mittens or cowl, or all three, I'm not sure yet.

      Delete
  5. I don't usually bother with an advent calendar for myself either, but like you I've treated myself to two this year. My daughter also sells Body Shop products so i will have a beauty one to open too. I think these are much nicer than the chocolate variety :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely nicer than the chocolate variety. I didn't know the Body Shop does a calendar, I love their products.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely treat for yourself! We all need a little indulgence from time to time. I hope you'll share photos of your lovely yarn when you open them. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw everyone opening their yarny calendars last year and it was so exciting seeing all the lovely yarn coming out of them, I decided it would be a lovely treat this year. I shall definitely share what was in all those lovely little parcels.

      Delete
  7. And you have a perfect right to buy whatever you choose, when ever you choose. I just did a comment on this, on your last post!!!! -smile-

    Having an Advent Calendar, which can be used, year after year, is delightful.

    I've never had one of the present day ones, but have seen them, in use, of course. And now, they are big business, of course.

    ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my first advent calendar since I was a child. I do look back to when times were simpler though, you either got a paper advent calendar or you didn't have one at all, there wasn't even the chocolate variety around then.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to see you completed calendar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't either, I'm looking forward to seeing all the different colours.

      Delete
  9. I saw a very nice nativity advent calendar the other day which I should have bought but didn't. When I'm out and about this week if I see it again I will get it :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some really lovely calendars about which can be used again and again, I particularly like the various wooden ones.

      Delete
  10. What a great idea for an advent calendar. I have never had one-but my kids all have them for their kids. I hope you have a wonderful week. hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always bought chocolate advent calendars for our kids but I do love the idea of these yarny ones, perfect for knitters or crocheters.

      Delete
  11. This is such a lovely idea Jo. I hope it bring you much pleasure. I look forward to seeing what you make with all those lovely wee skeins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite excited about making something really pretty with all the different colours. I'll have to see how they mix and match.

      Delete
  12. Can't wait to see what you make with all those bits of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be so much fun putting them together.

      Delete
  13. I love the idea of a yarny advent calendar and even had a look around after I saw your post on instagram. I'm sure I'll purchase one in future but my Christmas yarn budget is almost exhausted at this point - I've purchased a few yarny gifts for myself to be opened at Christmas (when I saw Amy Florence doing this, I thought it was a brilliant idea!), so there are already 2 packages by the fireplace, ready to go under the tree. Just like the bulbs, I don't really remember what I purchased, so it will be a lovely surprise on Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a yarny advent calendar before so I'm really excited to have these this year. I think yarny gifts to yourself is a great idea, at least you know there's something under the tree which you're going to love.

      Delete
  14. How lovely, such a good idea.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to opening them all.

      Delete