Wednesday 18 January 2017

Mum's List



I hadn't heard of Mum's List by St John Greene until I saw something about the film adaptation on TV. I thought it sounded interesting, though very sad, and I decided to read the book.

Mum's List is a true story about Kate Greene, a woman dying of cancer, who decided to write a kind of wish list for her husband, Singe, and two young sons. The list was actually things which Kate wanted the family to do, some things she'd intended doing with them herself, mixed in with things she didn't want them to forget and life lessons.

Having my own life threatened by cancer when my own children were very young, I find myself drawn to these type of books, however, this one didn't turn out to be the weepy I expected it to be. Yes, it's a true story and it's extremely sad, I feel terrible when anyone loses their life to this horrible disease, especially when they're leaving young children behind, and Kate's illness wasn't the first time the family had been touched by cancer, one of the children had gone through it too, but there were things which just didn't sit well with me at all and I must admit that I nearly abandoned the book on more than one occasion.

I know that people deal with grief in different ways but I found Singe to be quite disrespectful after Kate's death. He removed his wedding ring within days of Kate dying as he now thought of himself as a single man and he seemed eager to find a new partner. Even when one of the boys asked him when they were going to get a new mummy he didn't put him right and tell him that Kate was their mummy and always would be. Singe may be a lovely chap, he obviously idolised his wife, however, the way the book is written doesn't show him in a very good light, in my opinion.

I thought the book was going to go in to more detail about the list itself, which seemed to get lost amongst the gloating about the new house extension, new boat, holidays and even appearing in a Steven Spielberg film. I feel terribly sad at Kate's death but it certainly hasn't held Singe back.

I thought the best part of the book was the inclusion of Kate's mum's diary. This one chapter told me more about Kate's illness and what was happening at the time than all the other chapters put together.

Has anyone else read this book or have you seen the film, I wonder if that's any better. I'm afraid it's a film I won't be rushing to see if the book's anything to go by.

I've decided that the Christmas books that I didn't get round to reading last month will be put away now until next Christmas. There's quite a few so I'll be all set in December without having to buy any more.

If you want to know what else I've been reading lately, you can find a list in the sidebar. This shows all the books I've read this year and there's also lists of the books I've read right back to 2012.

32 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd care for this one. I don't mind end of life books, but I'm pretty fussy about which ones I'll read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this was going to be better than it was, it was more about Singe's life after Kate died than Mum's list, which I thought it would be about given the title.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this book, but i have to say i wouldn't read it, i just can't handle those sorts of books, i get way too emotional at such sadness.
    It's our first reading group of the year on Saturday, i'm hoping there are some good choices this year as i struggled to enjoy many last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these kind of books can be hard to read but I'm often drawn to them, I think it's because I can identify in some way. I've never been a member of a reading group but I think it might be something I'd enjoy. I hope there's some good books for you to read this year.

      Delete
  3. I would think this is about the mum, her illness and her wishes and hopes for her family. But it sounds like the husband has made it as much about himself as about her and the family. Shame. Personally I prefer books with happier themes. End of life stories are so sad and I'd most likely be crying my eyes out throughout the book. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the book was more about how Singe coped after Kate's death than it was about the list, which wasn't really what I was expecting from it. I know these type of books aren't for everyone, they can be very sad.

      Delete
  4. I'm pleased to hear you survived a scare....I can imagine how traumatic that must have been for you. I find myself nodding at your misgivings, I shall give the book and film a miss.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a terrible time when I went through cancer myself but it's a long time ago now, Daniel was only five and Eleanor two at the time. I thought the book would have been better than it was, perhaps it could have been if it had been written better and focused more on the list.

      Delete
  5. Having had it touch my life I tend to avoid the subject in books if I can, does not sound a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how some of us are drawn to this sort of subject when we've been through it ourselves and others tend to avoid it.

      Delete
  6. I saw him on ' This Morning' a few months ago. He came across quite well, talking about the things on the list that he had done with the boys, and about the book and the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch This Morning but I saw the film mentioned on something I was watching, I can't think what it was now. I haven't seen Singe on anything though, as I said, he's probably a very nice person but the book doesn't do him any favours.

      Delete
  7. Not sure I'd enjoy if it is how you say, though I do understand that some people do need a companion always & they aren't disrespectful, but needy. Thanks for the review. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want anyone to spend the rest of their life alone after a partner dies, however, it's the timing. Removing a wedding ring because you no longer consider yourself married after just a few day is, in my opinion, disrespectful. It would upset me if the husband of someone I loved did that.

      Delete
  8. I would like read this book.. I know how this dreaded disease is ...
    A big hug for you..

    Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know these type of books aren't everyone's cup of tea but cancer affects us all in one way or another.

      Delete
  9. Such a shame that it didn't come up to expectation. Sadly I have just donated about thirty or so books that I have started to read and couldn't be bothered with they were so badly written. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I rarely give up on books, I think that's down to the fact that I choose what I'm going to read quite carefully and consequently, I'm usually aware of what to expect from a book so I'm not often disappointed. I did keep going with this one but it's one of the rare ones I could have easily left unfinished.

      Delete
  10. I had read about this book but decided it wasn't for me. It sounds like I made the right decision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the opposite, I decided I'd read the book after hearing about the film but it wasn't at all what I expected.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad that you've posted about this.. It sounds as if it could have been a powerful book but has 'missed the point' entirely. A shame. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it could have been a really good book but it got sidetracked. I'd have liked to have heard more about the list itself.

      Delete
  12. There are good books and some not so good books.

    So many of us go through so much when a loved one (or indeed ourselves) have an illness like Cancer, as you experienced those years ago.

    Many books can help in these situations ... after having read your review I do not think I will be rushing out to read this.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the basis of this book would make for good reading, it's a shame that it didn't work out that way for me. I think we all have different opinions of things so even though I found this book disappointing, I expect there'll be others who don't.

      Delete
  13. It does sound like the missed the point with the book, and gave it a misleading title. I would've been disappointed too. I'd want to hear about Kate, her life, her list, and how the family used the list after her death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if the film's any better than the book, perhaps it comes across better. I may actually watch it just to see if it does.

      Delete
  14. This is one I wouldn't be drawn to and after your review I certainly won't b seeking it out!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be more interesting than it was, it's a shame really as it has the potential to be a good book.

      Delete
  15. Hi Jo,
    Thanks a lot for your sweet comment. A big hug.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll steer clear of this one I think.
    Hope your latest book is much nicer for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading a good book at the moment, a much better read.

      Delete