Thursday, 17 September 2026

Back To Cross Stitching

It's been a while since I've done any cross stitching. When I looked back and found that I'd finished The Twelve Days Of Christmas back in 2023 I was flabbergasted, I didn't realise it was that long ago. Just another example of how time flies. I had considered finishing off Mum's Cross Stitch but my heart just isn't in it at the present time, I don't know if it's because of the memories attached to it, whether I don't want to work on a piece which someone else has started or if it's the actual design, but I just can't bring myself to work on it at the moment.

A few Christmases ago Daniel and Jasmine bought me each of the seven charts which make up Jack Frost's Tree Farm by Little House Needleworks. They're lovely designs which can be finished separately or stitched as one piece, I've decided to do the latter.

I've chosen some sparkly evenweave fabric, a Zweigart 32 count Murano. I thought the sparkles would look like snow in this Christmassy design, though they don't really come across in the photo. The charts give the recommended Classic Colorworks colours but they also give a DMC alternative so that's what I've gone with.

I'm in no rush to finish it, I thoroughly enjoy taking my time with my crafting, putting a few stitches in here and there. It's a mindful process for me which is all the more enjoyable for the thoughtfulness and intention with which I complete each piece. I may not be prolific where cross stitching is concerned but I enjoy every stitch. I do find that my other hobbies take precedence over cross stitch though and since I've started looking after Jack, the time I spend on hobbies has reduced considerably so I do know that this will take quite some time to complete but that's okay.

30 comments:

  1. I have done more on my cross stitching project, I'm not a fan of stitching in the hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I craft the whole year round but there's definitely more time during the winter months when we're indoors more.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think they'll be lovely stitched as one piece.

      Delete
  3. Nice start. I haven't done any cross stitching for quite a while, I do have a couple of things started but no motivation for stitching at the moment. I think I have these charts, if I remeber correctly I won them in a give away years ago. I look forward to seeing your progress. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any kind of crafting can be forced, I'm sure your stitching mojo will return in time. That was a great win, I was so pleased when Daniel and Jasmine bought the charts for me.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely project, it will look great when you've finished. You will feel you are making progress as each kit is completed as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that myself, each time I finish a chart it will feel like a mini finish.

      Delete
  5. I have never really 'been at one' with cross stitch although I have tried it a number of times, however I can certainly appreciate the work that goes into it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find cross stitch less portable than knitting or crochet as I use a magnifying lamp so I definitely don't work on it as often as I do other things, but I do enjoy the time that I do spend stitching. I definitely have to be in the mood for it though.

      Delete
  6. I admire other people's cross stitch work but it's not something I do. These will be lovely and it's always good to have a project you can pick up and relax while doing.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stitching mojo has been absent for a while so it's nice that it's made a return. I love these designs so that will definitely spur me on.

      Delete
  7. They look like very pretty designs - well done on 32 count!
    I'm just picking up cross stitch again after a couple of years but it has to be 14 count - anything else is too small now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how much longer I shall be using 32 count, I need a magnifying light to manage it. The great thing with crafts is that they can be picked up and put down as you fancy, one of the reasons I enjoy a number of things, there's always something I fancy doing.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I find cross stitching quite calming. I think it's the repetitive motion, it's soothing for the mind.

      Delete
  9. I haven't cross stitched in years but I always loved the process. My daughter cross stitches and her work puts my own to shame. The back of her pieces look as good as the front...mine? Not so much!
    I love the sparkly cloth for the winter scenes. What a great idea. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep the back of my work as neat as I can but it definitely doesn't look as good as the front, haha. Yes, I like the sparkly cloth for winter scenes, it just adds that something extra.

      Delete
  10. That will be so cute! And there's the Jack connection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be another lovely decoration to bring out at Christmas. I've come across so many 'Jack' things since my little grandson was born, so many connections.

      Delete
  11. You have a delicate touch Jo, your needlework is beautiful, both in choices and then in your stitches. A lovely gift too! Would you please take a photo of your 12 Days of Christmas ornaments up on your tree when the time comes? I would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, though I'm a beginner really with cross stitch, I've only completed a few projects. I didn't finish my Twelve Days of Christmas as separate ornaments, I stitched them as one piece, the same as I'm doing here. You can see it all finished and framed in my sidebar.

      Delete
  12. It's going to look so nice once it's finished and the important thing is ... there is no rush, take your time and enjoy doing it. I know we will be interested in seeing the finished result :)

    Take care and enjoy the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a lovely design, or set of designs, I shall enjoy stitching them.

      Delete
  13. I used to love cross stitching and could so it for hours, but after breaking my arm I couldn't stitch so gave everything away.. I look at a few of the larger designs I still have and wonder how I did it so perfectly. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame you're no longer able to stitch, especially when you enjoyed doing it do much. I wonder how long my eyes will hold out, especially for the higher count fabric, as I'm already using a magnifyer light.

      Delete
  14. Hi ! It's been a long time since I came here... this is a very nice start and can't wait to see next parts... Summer was so hot tha I didn't stich but now days are better to do it again ;-)
    Have a nice day and once again thank you for sharing beautiful photos with us !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I've done any stitching so it's nice to get back to it again. It will be a lovely piece with all the designs stitched together.

      Delete