Back in March we had a trip to Druid's Temple on the Swinton Estate close to Masham. It seems a long time ago now but this post has been sitting in my drafts waiting to be published so today's the day.
Although it looks something akin to Stonehenge, Druid's Temple is actually a folly built somewhere between the late 1700s and the early 1800s by estate workers.
The work was commissioned by William Danby, the owner of the Swinton Estate. It's believed the design was researched meticulously as several elements bear a symbolic resemblance to authentic Druid's temples.
Danby paid local workers a shilling a day for their work at a time when unemployment was high in order to provide income to people in the area.
Druid's Temple is in the middle of a pine forest with walking trails and further stone arrangements scattered throughout.
After the tragedy at Sycamore Gap, Yorkshire artist, Lucy Pittaway, created her Sycamore Gap artwork. For every print purchased she pledged to plant a tree, and she chose Druid's Plantation as the location for her Sycamore Woodland. You can read more about this if you click on the photo above.
This is one of the Nature Gateway arches marking one of the entrance points of the Sycamore Gap Trail. The logs will provide an ecosystem as they begin to decompose, the frames are a permanent structure but the logs will be replenished as needed.
The views overlooking Leighton Reservoir, which lies in the valley below, are stunning.
We didn't stay very long on this occasion but we intend to return and explore further.
Well done, Lucy Pittaway - more power to her elbow.
ReplyDeleteIt still upsets me to think what was done to that beautiful tree but it's good that some wonderful projects have sprung out of something so terrible.
DeleteWhat a lovely place to visit.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful view in your last photograph.
All the best Jan
The view looks like something out of a painting. We're looking forward to returning and exploring more.
DeleteWhat an amazing place to visit. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I had no idea about this place.
ReplyDeleteWe've been meaning to visit for such a long time, I'm glad we finally got round to it, and we'll go back.
DeleteThat is fascinating and cool
ReplyDeleteI agree. A great find, we'll return to see more.
DeleteThat's an interesting place, I've never heard of it, Lucy Pittaway is certainly doing loads to help the area, and make good a terrible incident.
ReplyDeleteIt's just in the grounds of a huge estate, it's one of those places off the beaten track so you have to know it's there. The woodland will be beautiful once established.
DeleteThe Druid's Temple project is an interesting choice for the investment of so much money and effort in (relatively) modern times. On some level, it seems, the spirit of the old ways is still alive.
ReplyDeleteIt was commissioned by a local landowner, I think it was his way of providing employment and income to local people.
DeleteA lovely idea, the sycamore arch - like you say - although a dreadful moment of unexplained madness (chopping the tree down) - that a lot a lovely things have been inspired to take place.
ReplyDeleteI think the terrible act caught the attention of the country. I'll never understand why they did such a thing but so often when something like this happens, it inspires so much good in others.
DeleteLooks like interesting places to explore. I love the gateway.
ReplyDeleteThe gateway arches fit right in with the surroundings and provide wildlife habitats. I'm looking forward to going back and exploring further.
DeleteSomething good to have come out of such mindless vandalism. I do like stone circles, whether ancient or more modern. There's something so majestic about the standing stones. What a beautiful view.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes
Ellie
It's a lovely place, so peaceful. I definitely want to go back and explore more, especially the views.
DeleteI had not heard of this place before but I will be adding it to my ever increasng list of places to visit. Thank you for sharing your lovely photos and the information about Lucy's work.
ReplyDeleteIt's a lovely place to stop off and explore if you're ever in North Yorkshire. We'll definitely be going back at some point, it'll be nice to see the Sycamore Woodland begin to establish itself.
DeleteWhat an interesting place, so much to explore. What a great artwork at the beginning of the Sycamore Gap trail, I'd love to walk along there to enjoy all the views.
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely somewhere we'll visit again, we didn't really explore much beyond the temple but I'm sure there's lots more to see.
DeleteA beautiful place. I would like to just sit there quietly and look at the view (it's been a day and a half).
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Yes, the view is wonderful. We didn't get to explore nearly as much as we would have liked on this occasion so we'll definitely return and hopefully, uncover some more beautiful views.
DeleteVery interesting and I can’t help think what a noble thing to do to give the men work so that they could provide for their families. It certainly is a lovely place. Thanks for sharing it Jo, very interesting and I enjoyed your photos.
ReplyDeleteI just ready about Lucy. What an incredible thing she did, also reading about the gateway. So much goodness in people. Very heartening. One terrible, senseless act of vandalism which was the beginnings of a whole forest. Gives one hope! Thanks again Jo!
DeleteWhat we saw was beautiful, especially the views, and we shall definitely return to explore further. It's amazing how you can come across places you didn't know about and learn how they came to be. Yes, I think it's going to be wonderful to see the Sycamore Woodland mature over the coming years, that senseless act has brought about so many acts of benevolence and hope.
Delete